The Guardian

There's responsibility as Overnight Operations Supervisor to have everyone's best interest in mind. The little things: like coming out of pocket to buy my team a Thanksgiving meal or providing refreshments as a way to reward their sacrifices - were part of the proposal I made when accepting the position.

My mother D.B., RN, MSN
is a hero. I cannot tell you all the stories, because I have unfortunately forgotten many of them.

When I was serving tables, I would see the badges of Wake Forest University School of Medicine employees, thank them for their work, and share how my mother was proud to have been a Department Chair... Almost everyone knew her name. More times than I can count, people perked up and shared a personal story. Having someone you've never met reach up, almost involuntarily, to grasp your hand is surreal. "Your mother..." - Listen folks, I know. Though this is a new story for me... I know.

We share a similar path and extremely unhealthy level of selflessness. Perhaps this is a culture she's instilled in her children. I watched it yesterday with Nick
at Mom's 68th birthday dinner. The respect I have for the professional journey my brother has taken would need a paperback (or two)... Chances are likely you're using some of his work on a daily basis, perhaps even feeding your family as a result of the 30(+) yrs he spent learning his craft. Like our mother, he came to love something that was a developing field and has the ultimate in peer respect. Extremely proud of these folks.

My LinkedIn messages often contain articles, TED Conferences videos, and motivational offerings from my Mom. Like the one I am sharing today...

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2021/04/27/nightshift-cancer/

Once, I was told how night shift work is the same as daytime. Well, companies don't pay shift differential to one vs the other coincidentally. There are serious effects to the sacrifices that take place with unconventional hours. I hope that everyone takes that into consideration. Empathetic action requires more than stating the word. This is why "Doing the Right Thing" in Lumber always meant taking care of people, because they earned it. Let us not easily forget or ignore contributions. A hot topic currently shows the The Supreme Court of the United States striking down Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion practices.

For folks like my mother, and I have certainly tried to follow her lead, when you pay it forward... those investments have the possibility of showing a zero balance when you need them most.

As I said in the beginning, quite proud of my team. Whether that's the nighttime ninjas at work, the remarkable nuclear family I'm blessed with or knowing Renee has been the most altruistic co-parent to our children.

Happy Birthday Mom - you're not into ego or spotlight, so I've made this post about a variety of quite important current affairs. Whatever happens ahead, I am there for you. Let us not foolishly waste any opportunity ahead.

Time is quite precious... Take care of others.

Popular posts from this blog

...More Random Relationship Situations

Girlfriend Application

The M Path